Monday, July 24, 2006

On Climbing








I was out climbing with Ben and Terry and I noticed that the undescribable things are the things I was drawn to. How do you tell someone who is not a climber what a perfect day climbing is like? More important still, how do you communicate things that you have trouble describing to yourself to those you love and care about?

There are reasons for everything. There are those who doubt causality with their lips- but I have yet to meet a man who doubts it with his heart. Yet we have limited knowledge and we still must make many decisions every day for we are free (a topic for another time, perhaps). Our decisions effect those around us even when it is not as obvious. Yet what do we base those decisions upon?

How many times have you done something and thought to yourself, "why did I just do that? I did not want to do that but I did it anyways." or "I really should have done that, and I really wanted to, but I did not- what was I thinking? Was I?" The apostle Paul speaks of this in his letter to the church of Rome and I wonder how it is we so easily "justify" things sometimes.

No comments: