Wednesday, February 22, 2006

On Consistency and Its Death

What does the Lord require of me? Is this not the question? Why ask, how then shall I be saved? Should I not concern myself with what is required of me? Is there something required of me? Why should my salvation be the end all of life? Why should my verbal confession be the goal of any preacher or friend or missionary? Is life about me? No no no no no! Life is not about me. If I keep thinking that it is, then I will keep thinking about myself. If I keep the focus on myself- I will see all that is not right with myself.
Does anyone think that God is trying to trick them? Does anyone believe that the God of the Bible is reluctant to save people and upset that some make it? Is faith in God equal to excepting some propositions? Did Jesus or did Jesus not reduce the whole of the law to two statements? Is this the sort of thing that is hard to understand? Am I supposed to continually doubt myself and my faith and everything else? Two statements. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, strength, mind. And love your neighbor as yourself. This is the love of God. This is the Law of God. This is not some trick that requires a theologian to interpret for anyone. This is not works. The Gospel and the Law are not at odds. Salvation by grace through faith is not an idea new to the "New Testement". What is new is that the Gentiles are now brought in to God's covenant with Jacob. The whole world will be blessed through you, the Lord said. Abraham was not saved by works. Jacob was not saved by works. Moses was not saved by works. God has always and only saved men through grace and faith by Jesus Christ. There is unity in the Bible because there is unity in God.
Who has believed a lie? I have believed a lie. Who has made decisions based upon a lie? I have made decisions based upon a lie. Who needs God to guide and direct him for His name's sake? I do. May my Lord and savior Jesus Christ the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, who has adopted me as His own lead and guide me, His child, in the way that I should walk. Amen and amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joseph
That is alot of questions. I really like the way you think and the way you process through things and seem to end in truth, that is really great. I hope to see you tonight.